Total Pageviews

Monday, October 10, 2011

Wide Asleep

From time to time I find myself faced with the challenge of Insomnia. Most of the time it's caused by something that is weighing heavy on my mind or a project or two that I may have been working on. However, tonight things are a bit different. I was not certain why this particular individual had been on my mind for the last few weeks, but now I understand that he is asking for his due diligence for the huge impact he made on my life, which in-turn....led me here! Talking and sharing with you. I have mentioned him in my previous blogs, but now I feel his short ass is at the point of haunting me because I haven't told the full story.

I was 19 years old and landed my first job in the Corporate world. I was a Secretary for 6 OB/GYN physicians. What a wonderful classroom I had before me! I didn't realize it at the time, but all the tools and education that I needed to understand life in general were placed at my fingertips, yet, I was more focused on my upcoming weekend plans instead of listening to some "over the hill" physicians discuss their patients issues. Most of the doctors I worked for back then have crossed over (they dead), but I will never forget the life lessons they attempted to bestow on my then juvenille brain.

His name was William M. Chavis, M.D., Obstetrician/Gynecologist and Director of the Center for Sexual Health. He died of Cancer about 14 years ago and even though I was no longer employed with the place we made our acquaintance, I made certain that I paid my last respects to him. Dr. Chavis was not just one of my bosses....he was my friend and I now realize he was also my mentor. Too young and dumb to realize it at that time. It was Dr. Chavis that forced me to begin my public speaking to medical students, residents (doctors in training) and seasoned physicians. He always claimed he was too busy with patients and couldn't meet the obligation of introducing his guest speakers. I eventually found that story not to be true.

When I am asked the question of how I became involved with my type of business, my answer is generally quite simple...."Sex never has a recession!" Yes, this is true but it's important for me to go into greater detail so this short ass dead man will stop haunting me, which means I can continue with my normal sleep pattern.

I accept all types of people into my life! I have no heaven or hell to place anyone into, therefore I do not judge! It has never mattered to me if you were male, female, undecided, in the closet, under the bed or hanging out the window! I accept all!!! Dr. Chavis had a sex-kit that he used for couples that were having marital problems. I can't say if the act was ever done in his office, I was not allowed to come into counseling sessions. However, I do recall a few angry husbands and wives storming out of his office with doors slamming behind them. In some cases when one portion of the married party suggests counseling into their life, the other party feels as if they are being attacked by their husband/wife as well as the person that is provding counseling for them. I also recall meeting a happily married couple of 33 years. Dr. Chavis prepped me for the introduction prior to our meeting of this wonderful couple. He understood the experience was a new one for me. He did the right thing! Fred and Melissa Pharr......Love is a beautiful thing when the person you are with accepts ALL of you. His name was Fred during the day and she was Melissa during the day. His name became Allison in the evening and she remained Melissa. He was her husband, she was his wife and then they became best girlfriends in the evening helping one another out with make-up and accessories. Fred and Melissa were the happiest couple I had met, even as of today! Acceptance of diversity was my lesson for that day. I eventually had the honor of introducing Fred as the keynote speaker for one of Dr. Chavis' symposiums.

Years later I was showcasing some of my greatest works of art at the ever famous "HairWars" in Detroit and remained in my element of comfort while all the other models and stylist began giggling, laughing and pointing at "their" uncomfortable and unfamiliar surroundings. A stylist from the Ohio had travelled to Michigan to participate in the show and all his models were Drag Queens! The only problem that I had with the Queens was those bitches make-up and hair looked as if they had stepped out of Vogue Magazine and the heffa's knew it.

With life being my classroom and Dr. Chavis serving as my mentor, I realize I am very fortunate to have had the opportunities that are behind me and forthcoming. Please understand...I'm not saying that nothing shocks me, but I am saying...you will never know when I am shocked!

Thank you Dr. Chavis! Please Rest in Peace so that I may Sleep in Peace!!!

PSSST...

No comments:

Post a Comment